Top 10 Tips For Trade Show Promotions
November 16, 2011
By Mike Thimmesch
Trade show promotions drive more traffic to your booth. Yet, there are nearly an infinite number of promos and giveaways, and almost as many ideas about how to do promotions better, too. So what should you do first?
These 10 tips are the hidden gems, secrets, and guideposts that I’ve uncovered in the 20-plus years I’ve been doing, reading, and researching trade show promotions. Follow these best practices to ensure your trade show booth a hub of meaningful activity:
- Invent a great product demo to do in your booth, to pull in attendees, get them involved, and start valuable conversations.
- Giveaways are worthwhile because they get more people to enter your trade show exhibit and help you be remembered after the show, but can attract the wrong people if their appeal is too broad and beyond your target market.
- Set client and top prospect meetings in advance if at all possible, by offering them something of value such as a gift, access to decision makers, or exclusive information.
- Promotions are great conversation starters — but your booth staffers have to keep the conversation going, rather than let the prospect walk off.
- Discounts and show specials help you close the deal when you get rare face-to-face time with hard-to-reach prospects.
- It’s a guy thing: Choose giveaways and promotions that appeal to the demographics of your target audience.
- Assertive, friendly, and persistent crowd gatherers are worth their weight in gold-dipped foam stress balls.
- Before the show, reach out to attendees at minimum with email that offers something of value, potentially with direct mail, and for top prospects, by personal telephone calls.
- Put more effort into social media for trade show promotions — but only when you are already maximizing traditional pre-show and at-show promotions. Your social media efforts should be proportionate to the social-media adaption rate of your target audience.
- Giveaways that tie into your marketing message are much more memorable after the show.
I hope you get more attendees into your booth eager to engage with your booth staffers thanks to these ideas.
Getting Booth Visitors Via Online & Social Promotions White Paper
In this book Skyline has compiled 26 blog posts originally published in the Skyline Trade Show Tips blog. The posts combine information about social media tools and tactics, pre- and at-show promotions, digital marketing tools and general marketing tips.
From experienced trade show consultants, traditional marketers and digital marketing practitioners, these authors know Trade Shows and how to leverage modern marketing tools to help draw new and returning visitors to your trade show or event.